The history of the building

The construction of the building at 22 Nador Street run between 1844 and 1848 following the plans of the architect Mr. Lőrinc Zofahl. It received a romantic style of design. In 1851, the building was rebuilt according to Mr. Frigyes Feszl ideas.
Its original function was an apartment house being owned by the Oswalds brothers; however, relatively soon it was transformed to a hotel (called Hotel Continental). Later, in 1917, its function was changed again, and from this year the building served as an office building.
In 2001, the "22 Nador Street" has became the headquarter of the Hungarian Ombudsmen. During its reconstruction, the architects broke the stereotypes concerning offices living in the public mind, as an office should be grey, dusty and impersonal. 
According to its function, the Office could be divided into three different areas: The first floor is opened for the public with the doorway, library, complaints office and the gala yard. 
The second part is a semi-public area on the second floor: the forefront of the gala room with the reception desk, the gala room (or conference room) and the executive offices can be found.
The third area is the so-called hinterland, the complex of the work- and service rooms.
In the gala room on the first floor, the banquets of the Petofi Society's General Assembly took places between 1876 and 1944.
In the café of the Hotel Continental (nowadays Library), the Nyugat Journal was founded in 1908, which opened a new epoch for the Hungarian Literature.